Aultmore (meaning "big burn" in Gaelic)
gets its name from a nearby stream. It was built in 1896 by
Alexander Edward, who also owned Benrinnes. It is located
about two miles north of Keith and gets its water from the
peaty springs of the Foggie Moss. Only a very small amount
of the Aultmore is bottled as a single malt. Aultmore was
purchased in 1923 by John Dewar. In the early fifties, Aultmore
and Imperial Distillery did the pioneering experiments that
would lead to utilizing most of the distillery waste matter
(pot ale and draff) for protein-rich animal feed. This practice
is now industry-wide and makes the production Scotch Single Malt Whisky one of the most ecologically sound industries
12 year old
||Rich, fresh aroma
with a hint of peat, sweetness and mash.
||Medium to firm.
||Mellow and well-balanced.
Some light fruitiness.
warming and quite dry.