Convalmore Distillery was founded in 1894.
Its name, as well as the water source, comes from the nearby
Conval hills located just north of Dufftown. Much of the distillery
was destroyed by fire in 1909. During reconstruction, a continuous,
or patent still, with the capability of distilling 500 gallons
of wash an hour was installed. This experiment turned out
to be just that when it was discovered that this process,
which worked very well with the grain distilleries, produced
malt spirit that failed to mature properly. The patent stills
were replaced with the tried and proven pot stills in 1915.
Production capacity was extended in 1964 with the installation
of two additional stills now giving it a total of four. Convalmore
single malt is available only from independent bottlers. The
distillery was acquired by United Distillers in 1985 and closed.
It now serves as a warehouse for Grant's.
Gordon and MacPhai bottling
||Medium to full.
Some sweetness with grain and spice.
||Medium in length
with some peat and spice.